PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2000, 06:20
Cyclic Hotline

Cool

From the content of this thread, it appears that ther may be a perceived problem recruiting adequate winch crews. The obvious solution would be to find some good location and set up a training school to produce the personnel required.

Whilst perusing elsewhere on PPRuNe, I stumbled on the perfect location, Manston, Kent. Good location, excellent facilities and training areas abound, (including the all important glassy water, foggy conditions) and it will soon be a major airport again.

The next problem is finding a suitable helicopter to perform the SAR training role, needs to be large enough to hold the winch crew and also large enough to provide meaningful aircrew training for the mission. It would also be ideal if the aircraft had none of those fancy gadgets, so a little training is given in elementary skills in this operating environment. Of course, finally it needs to be cost effective.

I don't know if there might be any old WS55 Whirlwinds knocking around, but that would be the perfect aircraft for this role.

Brilliant solution, Whirlwind's at Manston, it's a wonder no-one ever thought of it before!

Perhaps those Phillipino's might be interested in the job?

I sense an Empire in creation!!!!!