PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 Astar/Squirrel
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2005, 03:37
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zdfwflyer: i would care to comment....that report is totally irrelevant to the thread, however i am sure that flingwiing can safely conclude it was an LTE event that caused the accident, after all, it hit the water and spun uncontrollably left.

AOTW,
Some points on your summary;
95% of LTE have been on B206, as Nick points out. Bell claim it is not limited to the 206, but few other types have had a record of the event. This ties in with the claim of "a new aerodynamic theory or phemomena" rather than any acceptance of deisgn flaw.

re your point 'f", the recovery technique was as you say. A 1995 ish B206 accident in the Australian Army was an LTE event and the pilot did just that - he tried to lower lever but had insufficient height, and then rolled the throttle off in accordance with the checklist procedure, writing the aircraft off and sustaining injury to himself and his pax. The checklist actions were reviewed and the recommendation was to lower the lever if hieght permits, otherwise attempt a flyaway using out of turn cyclic rather than roll the throttle off, particularly when faced with adverse terrain. I dont know if Bell ratified this recommendation, but it certainly makes sense. The danger is trying to discern LTE from Loss of T/R thrust whilst you are spinning around madly staining your shorts.

As a sideline, senior pilots very unfairly critised the junior pilot involved who carried out the taught checklist procedure to perfection in harrowing circumstances. well done that man. He did what the senior pilots had taught him, and what Bell recommended. Where do they get off??