PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 Astar/Squirrel
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2005, 13:29
Flingwing207

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, helmet fire, here's the FAA line (AC 90-95).

THE PHENOMENA OF LTE.
LTE is a critical low-speed aerodynamic flight characteristic which can result in an uncommanded rapid yaw rate which does not subside of its own accord and, if not corrected, can result in the loss of aircraft control.

When they say "does not subside of its own accord", does this mean "without pilot input", or "even with the proper input"? So, Sammy Schweizer;s yaw stopped as soon as he was into the wind. He was just slow on the pedals. LTE?

Rebecca could well have just applied insufficient left pedal as she passed through ETL and raised collective. LTE?
Joey on the other hand experiences a rapid yaw, and even WITH application of the corrective action, is unable to stop it. What else to call this? LTE?

So when you droop your rotor RPM, and then you experience an uncommanded yaw rate which does not subside on its own accord, AND you can't stop it with the pedals, by the FAA definitions, you are experiencing LTE. The low RPM might have gotten you there, but you are there all the same.

The Rotorcraft Flying Handbook and AC 90-95 both describe low RPM as one of the contributors to LTE, along with hot & high, heavy GW, low speed, downwind ops, and right turns (in a CCW rotor helicopter). I didn't write the books, but as a CFI in the USA, I am bound to work within their guidelines.

You might be able to educate me here - if I am losing T/R thrust due to rotor droop, and I start yawing, would I not lower collective (as much as able), regain airspeed (as much as able) fly into the turn (as much as able) while applying opposite pedal?