PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 Astar/Squirrel
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 10:13
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Terminology: the bane of understanding!

Rotorboy, I see your points, but I think you are mixing the terminology between LTE, Authority and perhaps not understanding imabell's oevrpitched call. So we are all singing from the same sheet of music, I suggest the following terminology cut and pasted from another thread:

Loss of tail rotor control: You are not able to control the tail rotor pitch mechanism.

Loss of tail rotor thrust: Little spinning thing at the back stops spinning or falls off.

Loss of tail rotor effectiveness (LTE): "Newly" discovered and named in the 80's after many (in particular OH-58/B206) accidents. Although somewhat awkwardly named (as the tail rotor is still effectively working and must be providing thrust) LTE refers to what is thought to be an ingestion of main or tail rotor vorticey through the tail rotor which causes an onset of yaw in the direction induced by torque that cannot be overcome by the application of full "power pedal". The yaw rotation can build up quickly enough to fool most pilots into believing they have experienced a loss of tail rotor thrust. The concept has come under fire lately because of the early thoughts that the tail rotor enters vortex ring state being a little hard to prove. Oh - and then there is fenestron stall that possibly fits into this category too, although strongly denied as a possibility by the manufacturer whilst allegedly being strongly experienced by the pilots!

Loss of Tail Rotor Authority (LTA): Also a new term to make the old Huey war story of "..and then I ran out of left pedal and..." sound a little more sophisticated and technical. In this situation, the tail rotor does not produce enough thrust to counteract the torque/crosswind combination you require, your power pedal hits the stop, and around you go - though often quite gently when compared to LTE or loss of thrust. A lot of aircraft are susceptible to this, but the UH-1D/H Huey is famous for it - and many people have had the earth come up and smite them as a result.

This is somewhat semantics, but the reason I used the term Loss of Tail Rotor Authority instead of “Over pitched” is that it confuses the situation a bit. Over pitched infers that the blade pitch angle is too excessive either for the engine power to overcome the induced drag, or that the blade may be in some sort of stall condition. Most commonly, over pitching refers to the main rotor case (as Nick says below) causing a RRPM droop and therefore LTA, or it could mean a T/R blade overpitch causing LTA. Either way, both manifest in a LTA situation - not an LTE.

But not all LTA is caused by over pitching. LTA also covers the other conditions where niether the M/R or T/R blade is over pitched but the T/R still cannot produce enough thrust to counter act the yaw. IE the T/R blade pitch angle is at it's max, but the resultant thrust is insufficient to overcome the yaw conditions caused by power, DA, adverse wind, pilot handling, etc.

So in green thumb's case, I don’t believe that the tail rotor or main rotor has “over pitched”, although as imabell points out, this common term has been clouded by the LTE hysteria, and somewhat forgotten - and with the forgotten term comes a forgotten condition and a forgotten recovery technique - and I share imabell's concern with this. Fly a UH-1H and you will be forced to remember.

In the AS 350 case, though you have yet to provide weight and DA details, I think an LTA case can be made: the T/R was unable to provide enough yaw authority for the power/DA/wind combination. Given that it was an AS 350, it is unlikely that the T/R blade was over pitched/stalled, and unlikely to be a main rotor droop – though the term over pitched certainly describes the aircraft reaction accurately, and the recovery actions are the same. (Unlikely does not mean impossible!)

edited to include corrections by AOTW!