PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 Astar/Squirrel
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2005, 12:09
sandy helmet

First of all we need a EC tech rep on the line who actually knows what is going on - anyone, anyone?? Ken where are ya?

Secondly, has this phenomena ever led to loss of control causing an accident? Not that I am aware of, so is it really a design flaw or structural inadequacy? - Most incidences of jack stall that I have heard about have involved aircraft close to MAUW and close to Vne. Are those "normal" operating conditions?? Generally accepted procedure is to back off collective and cyclic, and control is regained. Why would you want to be in a full speed cyclic descent anyway????

And Nick - is it really a structural issue as opposed to hydraulic??

The issue is not hydraulic, it is rotor structure. The Squirrel can bend and break its rotor if handled near stall. Weakening the hydraulics is the "fix" according to Gray Matter.
Because if this is the case, wouldn't one expect to see cracked blades, splintered stars, or bent pitch links?? I have never heard of this happening as a result of jack stall.

The aircraft has been designed to be flown with out hydraulics if necessary, and is controllable at speeds of up to 70 knots, without damage to the rotor system. If you are incredibly strong and willing, probably more - you just aren't getting any help from the hydraulics.

I believe it is more of a 'characteristic', that perhaps should be investigated a little more thoroughly, same as LTE for the 206 series, the T/R problem with the 407, or the phenomena of mast bending in the 204,205,and 412 that led to the RIN and limited torque settings in the RFM limitations.

Is it necessary or practical to change a major design feature such as the hydraulic system?? I think I can answer for Eurocopter.
Knowledge and training I think are the key to this "issue".
After all its not what you know that will kill ya...........
Arm out the window...I'm with you on this one