PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 Astar/Squirrel
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2004, 20:38
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Y'all, I've done 30k+ landings in this airframe, in calm to 50 knots, level ground to elevated (all varieties), and my observations-

1) Yes, it ordinarily lands right side skid heels first. If you put that down without translation and not descending too quickly, you won't know when it touches. Translate a little over the ground except forward and all bets are off. If I "feel" for that first touch, I always mess it up. Yes, the control trim positions change suddenly, but nothing unacceptable. If you have a stabilised and slow descent going, it'll be a quick small movement or two and the collective will be on the bottom.
So- eyes out front, hold it in place, and slow uniform descent until the collective stops going down. Just like any helicopter.

2) The aircraft will land fine, as above, unless winds anywhere but on the nose- Then it darts and jumps a bit more, especiialy sporty with 10-15 knots on the right rear quarter! If you're up to form, you can still do the "Technique 1)" but it's not easy. Don't feel for the ground!!!
10-15 knots at the right rear quarter can get real interesting, especially on an elevated pad with turbulence. Those conditions can bounce the automatic leveling device, a/k/a tail skid. It'll pitch up suddenly, commence a descent, and yaw suddenly.
A bunch of wind improves things (and stabilises the airflow, which I think supports my tail rotor wash theory), and it does better in all quads, as long wind steady state. Plenty tail rotor authority and few surprises.

3) If all else fails, a little forward as the right rear skid heel touches. Good when you absolutely gotta plant this pig as it's pointing, and "good basic helo technique" is kicking your keester today.
Whenever I lapse into the slide-it-on routinely, I'm soon back feeling for the ground and jarring teeth. 350's will show you where the pilot is wanting.

This aircraft is "precise" and little change in trim and effect is apparent in the seat of one's pants. More than once I've thought I was definitely down and bottomed the collective only to have it drop the last couple inches. "I" was "down and through flying" but the helo wasn't.
When all else fails- stop overcontrolling, hold it still- and land it like any helo. The slide on is admitting defeat and she knows she whipped you.