PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 Astar/Squirrel
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2001, 08:52
Nick Lappos

Shytorque,

I agree that the 2 g's is not terribly severe, but recall that is with half the total servo force, since we had turned one system off prior to the maneuver.

The test pilots who took the AS-365 through air combat trials frequently experienced jack stall to the point that the aircraft would wind up tightening its own turn. This occurred at 2.4 g's or less, which is not terribly far out in the spectrum of possible maneuvers. One can argue if this is acceptable or not, but the ideal helicopter should not have the ability to out-fight its pilot, in my humble opinion. None of this should be interpreted as impuning a very fine helicopter, just stating what we should be striving for.

In any case, the concept of jack stall is clearly understood by the bunch, we can argue (politely, of course!) the specific level at which it should occur (clearly far out in the envelope).

Like weak tail rotors (which create the need for careful LTE training), jack stall is a fact of life, but I hope we all get to help raise the bar and make it something we tell newbies about with the phrase, "Sonny, I remember the time when...."

[ 08 December 2001: Message edited by: Nick Lappos ]