PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 Astar/Squirrel
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2001, 00:35
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

To: Shy Torque

I can totally accept the fact that limitations are placed on helicopters and aircraft. In most cases it has been determined that to perform certain maneuvers you can overstress the structure. That is why they have a SCAS system in some helicopters to keep from overstressing the rotor system or the structure. In one case you described that if you performed a certain maneuver in a specific helicopter that if this maneuver was performed in another helicopter you could overspeed the rotor system. So, this maneuver is restricted on that helicopter and that is OK with me. The problem I see on the AS-350 if I understand it correctly is if you perform a specific maneuver you get jack stall, which means that there is a failure to deliver adequate fluid under pressure to combat the feedback forces generated in the maneuver. If the pump had a greater delivery capacity or they used a constant speed variable delivery pump or if they had an adequately sized accumulator the pilot would never experience jack stall. To allow jack stall to happen in a helicopter design is unconscionable in respect to systems safety and from a reliability point of view if the lower controls are exposed to flight loads.