PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taupo=BAD
Thread: Taupo=BAD
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2006, 00:23
Zed-K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
true on speed, but it was simply an example, and not a one off occurance. Personally I never found the meat bombers to be a problem, they co-ordinated well with scheduled traffic, but VFR's were an issue. Not sure if local VFR or people passing through, but a lack of accurate radio calls, I suspect some not even monitoring local freq, some instances of very poor airmanship (landing on the runway while an Eagle flight was finishing landing roll for example) were issues I either experienced or was told about. Numerous reports were filed, and I also suspect many went unreported. These are not problems specific to AP, but given the volume of traffic I guess the risk is that much increased. Until issues like this are greatly reduced, some form of control seems to be the best course of action. It has been interesting to read some of the operators comments in the press. They can dress things up as much as they want, but in these days of user pays, the operators do not wish to bear the burden of funding ATC. It is a cost issue. If all ATC was centrally funded, I am guessing that they would have no objections to a control tower going in.