PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind joins (uncontrolled)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2006, 16:24
Mike Cross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WR

Click on the link in my post above for the CAA's poster illustrating the OHJ. It does not require you to overfly the square. (You will probably need to enlarge it to read the text)

AFIK this poster is the only source of a procedure for the OHJ but I'm happy to be corrected.

Agree with you that if an OHJ is specified then it should be adhered to. This will be eithr by an entry in the AIP or NOTAM or as an instruction by ATC. At an uncontrolled field (a/g, FISO or nothing) ROAR do not specify the type of join (nor IMHO should they) and while I for one will always comply with a request from a/g or FISO when it is safe to do so, there is no requirement on the pilot to do so.

If when you call you are told what tnmorris was, you should not assume that just because you were instructed to do an OHJ that everyone else was too.

As an aside, I was on final at Sandown a few weeks ago when I heard the a/g operator say something like "Harry, have you seen the other aircraft abiove you and to your left?"

A few seconds later I saw the pleasure flight Skyhawk appear from below me, having overtaken me from a position below me, behind and to my right, crossing below me to appear below me anbd to my left, as a result of which I had to go round. Separation? less than 300 ft IMHO. Bl@@dy stupid thing to do in order to save the price of a circuit.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Cross; 2nd Jun 2006 at 16:37.