PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC calls police to meet A/C because FO 'sounded drunk'
Old 1st Jun 2006, 18:04
radioexcel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting assumptions from a lot of guys
Having been on the other side of the mike for over 30 yrs, I must say that you obtain the ability to evaluate the person you are talking to. Mostly you have the friendly and appreciative voice on the other side. You can definitely evaluate the persons mood on the radio. Be it friendly, tired, grumpy, plainly rude(because he is p..t off with someone), inexperienced or even some times lacking far behind the aircraft.
I had an aircraft going down a few year ago because of the instructor being intoxicated. (This you could tell from his speech and actions) The poor student was trying his best to keep the plane flying while his instructor did all sorts of unusual maneavers with the aircraft. Fortunately I had a friend in the military being on standby with his chopper and when the plane did crash and going up in flames, the chopper landed at the crash site. Fortunately the two walked away only a bit bruised.
So guys, it is not a "witch hunt". If ATC reported the matter, the police should have the correct procedures and diplomacy to handle the matter