PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2006, 12:55
Ash679

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afternoon all!

Just stumbled across this forum whilst desperately trying to avoid actually having to finish my PGCE coursework - was actually trying to google-search the name(s) and contact phone numbers of the Station Tailors at Cranditz (if anyone has them!!) for a mate of mine who is going on his VR(T) Officers Initial Course at the weekend.

I've spent the last hour or so reading through this tread with amazement...

As a serving VR(T) officer I have worked with, and continue to work with, the regular RAF on many many occasions, and my experience is that - as many people have made the point - that there are good and bad apples in both organisations. I have also had first hand experience of actually having to use my commission "in anger" as it were, reporting a regular Airman for inappropriate behaviour with a young female cadet; the outcome of which was that he was disciplined and posted from the station in question (where he regularly came into contact with cadets). I personally took absolutely no pleasure in this, and it was very unfortunate, but also very necessary.

I have been commissioned for almost 7 years, and take very deep pride in wearing the uniform of the Royal Air Force, and holding the Queens Commission. I do my utmost to do my job, run my ATC Sqn, and carry out all associated duties with the dignity and skill that befits such a privilage. I obviously do not have 24 (28 now, I think) weeks IOT behind me, but I try to leave every regular member of the RAF that I work - or have worked with - with a positive impression of the ATC and VR(T), and try do my bit to counter some of the negative experiences they may have when coming into contact with our less professional brethern... of which there are - admittedly - unfortunately some.

I have always found that the approach of asking politiely when dealing with the regular RAF, works wonders, and very rarely results in people saying "no" unless they genuinely cannot help you. I would personally never dream of trying to "throw my weight around" on a station, because not only is it the wrong attitude, but it does not generate results. I only ask that - because I am the privilaged (that is, that I feel it is my privilage) holder of the Queens Commission - that I am treated accordingly in the same manner as a brother regular officer. The only time I would ever challenge a regular service-person junior in rank, would be if they showed disrespect for the fact that I am commissioned (because whether they like it or not, someone senior to them has made that decision!). This is a duty imbued to me by my commissioning scroll... but even then, it would take the form of a polite word - which would hopefully do the trick. Having said this, perhaps because of my approach, I have never actually had to do that.

I would hope that the majority of my fellow VR(T) officers feel, and act similarly, and would suggest that respect breeds respect. I personally have nothing but respect for my parent service, and it saddens me when - occassionally - that respect is not reciprocated.

I do what I do because the ATC made me the man I am today (sob, sniff!), and if I can help give other cadets and staff the opportunities that I enjoyed, then I will have repaid my debt to the Corps. I hope that I was selected for commissioning because my personal qualities were recognised as befitting a holder of the Queens Commission, and I cherish the privilage I have been granted. Having said this, I recognise that it is to some extent a tool which enables me to do my job, and I also recognise my limitations... and try not to "exceed my brief" as it were when in the company of my regular cousins!

Just felt the need to squeeze my two-penneth in.

Cheers!