PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor jobs??
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2006, 03:41
MBA747

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Sykes.

I'm back long trip, unfortunately couldn't respond to your distorted post due to being called away at short notice.

1. The first three points taken together are not necessarily applied in any one situation which you for your own reasons imply. Each point posted earlier occurs monotonously, however any two points taken together DO apply.( Re points 1,2 & 3 )

2. Point 4 regarding endorsements and ICUS. This actually started in the US and the UK followed and now seems to have caught on world wide however there are exceptions. In Aust. Virgin introduced the pay for your own endorsement now followed by J*. Then GA gets in on the act, with pilots paying upto $100 ICUS to fly a 30 year old light twin.

3. Point 7, a small minority actually speak English however,unless you can speak their language the chance of you being employed is remote.

4." Great FACTS, but US/Asia/Sth America airline issues probably aren't that relevant to getting an instructor rating in OZ"..... Well Sykes are you telling me trainees in their 20's willingly spend around at least 70K just to instruct or do you think their are more ambitous and want an airline career in the hope of some stability and financial reward. There are few and I mean very few career instructors and even out of those, a number would not make airlines anyway and they accept that.

5.As to SIA Flying College the increase in cadets has occurred inthe last 6 months. They also offer career advancement, so don't expect too much movement there. China Southern the older instructors will stay the younger will move on in hope.

Now regarding working conditions, things are bad & getting worse. In my day everybody was paid the award. Now its open to abuse with fulltime casual in vogue. Unless one is a GR.1 or a GR.2 with training approval, you are one of the many on casual (get paid when you fly).....no students, weather is unsuitable, a/c is u/s, too many instructors so flying is rationed......the result a salary below the bread line. The point being unless you have a backup qualification, well of parents who can give you financial support when required or have great contacts in the industry it's a hard slog, which would most most likely lead to a poor life style and despair. Now how many trainees are in that category???

Sure people do make it but the die is loaded against you.

'topaharley' best of luck, you may be better of becoming a courier on your bike.