PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick - Heathrow Islander and S61 Questions
Old 30th May 2006, 12:57
Opssys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Heathrow Director for both the Westward start date and the heads up on the Book "Heathrow ATC, the first 50 years".

The Statistics floored me for a couple of Minutes. I still cannot get my head around the incredibly low number of 707 Movements.

With great respect, are you sure that a Zero wasn’t dropped off at the end. 1680 is still extremely low, bearing in mind the number of 707 Operators using LHR at this time.

The Islander was a massive surprise, but once I got my head around the numbers I could see a possible explanation, but based on major assumptions and not being an LHR person, some vague memories:

a) The Islander Airlink was effectively operating for 6 Months in 1969.
This could provide conservatively a figure of 1200 MVTS possibly a lot higher (on some of my higher estimates over 50% of the total)

b) From the vague memories there were a couple of Airlines using Islanders on extremely thin routes from the regional airports not served by BAS/BEA.

c) I think Field Aviation was doing Islander Interior work and therefore Aircraft would pass through their facility on a non-scheduled but regular basis.

Whilst a big number those arrivals and departures all add up!

Meanwhile:
Tredders. I think your memory of the LHR Stand/Gate location is correct. Almost all pictures (including mine) show G-LINK at Gatwick, or doing airwork at Gatwick, or in-flight with no Ground detail. The only Picture I know is at LHR is of Pax Boarding the waiting Aircraft. This was taken from nearly above the Boarding Gate and doesn't provide any useful location cross-references.

My only vague memory indicates both Stand and Gate were totally dedicated to Airlink and were never used for any other purpose.
DIH