PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Feeling eternally trapped as a FI.
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2006, 20:16
badgerpuppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

mate,

crap it is. I remember it very well. So does my bank manager, my wife, my patient family and friends, local livestock etc. Your 50th hour in the circuit on that particular month really makes you want to end it all immediately dosent it? I was in your position some time ago now, one more student who can't find the biggest position fix in the uk in ten k's vis and you think you may quit.

Thing is dude, the best way out of your position, I think, because it works every time and you can have influence on it, is to get to know the people in the layer just above your own. Find the guys flying single pilot on things like senecas and king airs. The seneca drivers will let you log the dead legs (of which there are usually two per day) unless they are the sort of pillocks that carry on about being the aircraft commander and how they should be chief pilot next week. Once you have 40 hours p1 on class, you will be eligable to work on an air taxi bloke's aoc. There are usually a few looking for pilots. Most come fom the instructing world and like you (hopefully after reading this) have had the balls to go and find some twin time from somewhere. I NEVER MET ANYONE WHO PAID FOR IT!!!

Because so many low hours guys are getting work out of playschool, there are no fine young chaps coming through the old way and the caa ops inspectors look at you funny when you suggest 200hrs is enough to send someone off at night on their own to spain with a box of bits. All this means that the experienced charter pilots are going to the larger operators who apreciate their experience and there is no bugger to fill their shoes. Oh bugger says the man who has the aoc. Such is life for them but it makes sense for you. It can be dead scary but you will learn loads and whatever the twats in the bar say, most operators just love an ex air taxi pilot.

My wife does.

Look on the bright side, Top Gun is on sky one at the minute, that should be a laugh, and let's face it you're probably not as much of a tosser as Val Kilmer.

tata,

Bp.