PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Info on Ryan/Easy
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2006, 20:09
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be wary of asking the take-home pay - it will lead you to an extremely inaccurrate comparison. Making comparisons between companies is notoriously difficult. I am a captain with easyJet based at Gatwick and fly about 500 sectors a year. In June I will work 15 days as 4 of my possible working days are lost due to high hours. Of those days 8 are 4-sector days and 7 are 2-sector days. The theoretical max duty day will be just under 11 hours although it will probably be nearer 12. At the bottom end the shortest days are about 6 duty hours.

Regarding pay, easyJet have just had a pay rise and the figure I give will apply to all captains who have done their first 6 months (paid at 90%). Also I will quote the figure that will exist from Oct 06 as that is how long it would take you to get a job with us even if you applied today! Under the new pay rise a captain will have a basic of £73792 plus £28.84 gross per sector (the actual figure is £23.64 but that has a tax free element in it). You get a uniform allowance of £207.96 per year. That makes a total effective gross of £89,126 (assume 500 sectors). In addition a loyalty bonus is paid annually after you have worked for more than 2 years (5%, 10% or 15% for 2+, 5+ or 10+ years). 5% net is worth £2214 in your hand once per year (ie £184/month net effective pay). Also easyJet pay 7% of your basic pay into a pension fund - ie £5165 per year which I believe Ryanair do not.

With all the above taken into account, and assuming you put zero into the company pension fund yourself, then after October you would effectively receive approximately £4900 in your hand plus the loyalty bonus as stated above. In addition you receive the extra £5165 into your pension fund. Obviously if you take advantage of the extremely tax-advantageous rates of pension contributions then you would receive less in your hand but I am trying to enable you to make a valid comparison. For what it is worth my own view is that Ryanair now pays less than easyJet but I am open to correction!