PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training and possibly moving to Canada
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2006, 23:25
Finals19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YYZDUB said
I can assure you that Canada doesn't have passport lying around that they're willing just to toss out to anyone that wants one!
Really? Have you visited Richmond, BC lately?
It would be nice and probably not so insulting to people if you had said you want a Canadian citizenship because of what Canada can offer you, life style, quality of life, etc and not a backup to not being eligible for an American passport. Give me a break.
YYZDUB!...chill the heck out will ya?! Oxeagle - please understand that Canadians are for the most part very warm, friendly and welcoming!
I have done exactly what you are planning to do. Training over here and gaining your CPL/MEIR is certainly better value for money than it is in Europe. What you need to bear in mind is your hiring potential when you graduaute from Flight School with 250 hours (its very tough to walk into a flying job here, much unlike some of the options you may have in Europe with a JAR licence) and also the demography of the industry. You really do have to work your way up the aviation ladder in Canada and the pay is really quite piss poor until the bigger airlines. Same for working conditions and very often the equipment you fly. Expect to do some instructing (or ramp work - although this is becoming an unattractive option) before moving on to a job flying something like a Piper Navajo etc etc. The good news is that the job market here in Canada is starting to move (finally!)
As for chicks here digging European (read British in this case) accents, I would say not really - at least not out here on the left coast.