PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Dispatcher - Would you like to be like this?
Old 28th May 2006, 21:40
Aloon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you even read the first post on this thread?? Here is some of it.
FAR 121.533 states that both the airline captain and the dispatcher are held jointly responsible for the safety of the flight. In cooperation with the pilot, the flight dispatcher furnishes a flight plan that enables the aircraft to arrive at its destination on schedule with the maximum payload and the least operating cost. The flight dispatcher considers en route and destination weather, winds aloft, alternate destinations, fuel required, altitudes, and traffic flow. The dispatcher's signature, along with that of the pilot, releases the aircraft for flight. The dispatcher maintains a constant watch on all flights dispatched, and is responsible in joint agreement with the airline captain for flight planning, route and altitude selection, fuel load requirements, aircraft legality and complyig with FAA regulations. The dispatcher is the go-between for the pilot and ground service personnel, and keeps all personnel concerned with the flight informed about its status. The dispatcher must be familiar with navigation facilities over airline routes and at airports as well as with the takeoff, cruising, and landing characteristics of all aircraft operated by the airline. The flight dispatcher also must ride periodically in the cockpit with the flight crew to observe flight routes, conditions, and airports.
The dispatcher's signature, along with that of the pilot, releases the aircraft for flight.
Please read the above... That's what the thread is about!

"The dispatcher shares 50/50 decision making and responsibility for the safety of each flight with the airline captain."

My arse!
Simple, yet quite a loud statemenbt!

You're quite welcome to be involved in my pre flight fuel planning, alternates, wx, cruising levels, route selection.
Which navaids should I program into the FMS between Cardiff and Edinburgh then? Is the ILS CatII or not, what alternate minima do I use if it's not?
Indeed I am, but you obvously don't see it that way!

How does my aeroplane handle? Is it easy to land in a cross wind?
Don't know, never done it!

Have you periodically flown with any airline recently? Ever?
Oh yes, and I appreciate the involvement of everyone who contributed to that flight!