PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - India pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2006, 22:49
Sqwak7700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last time I checked, most airliners I've flown said "2 pilots" under the minimum crew limitations. They conveniently fail to mention that the other pilot in the cockpit of the accident airplanes were probably Indian.

Authorities in India have said that with the rapid expansion they are aiming to put at least one local in every cockpit. That is an unrealistic goal. I know that Airbuses (and most new airplanes these days) are designed to remove the pilot from the equation, but it doesn't mean that they have done it. The cockpit of an airliner is not the place to learn the basics of aviation. That is why we learn in a small slow airplane and simulators. You don't want to have 180 souls on board when you learn that getting slow on an un-coordinated turn to final can lead to a smoking hole.

India (like China) just doesn't have an aviation background that they can call on to staff their growing airlines. Other parts of the world have "pools" of pilots which the airlines have to pick from. There is an infrastructure that creates pilots whether the airlines need them or not (military, GA, corporate) That infrastructure in these booming countries is non-existent, or incapable to meet the demand. That happens when a country has tremendous growth and "leap-frogs" in order to catch up. It doesn't mean that they wont catch up, but they have to be smart about it. And it isn't going to happen overnight.

Instead of clossing the door to experienced expats by placing restrictions and limitations, they should be attracting talent and learning as much as possible from them. (ex: HKG, Japan, Singapore, etc...) It does them no good to trash expats flying in their country. You want talent to come and help out? Then make it worth it for them to move their families to a whole different region and culture.

Otherwise, with flying that good, you can do it yourself.