PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoons an Raptors
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2006, 10:49
Lord_Flashheart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Latest reports are that the recent F-22 incident where the canopy would not open and the pilot had to be cut out was caused by..... a software problem.
Reboot it!

True Jacko - JSF will be software-driven (along with everything else) but to use a slightly OT example - I would argue I have 'operational sovereignty' of my PC.

Windows XP is installed on it, and though Microsoft don't let my see the source codes I can tweak it, modify it, shut down bits I don't like, install software that they'd rather I didn't and so on to my heart's content.

In short, because the interface is so good, there's really no need to go poking about in the source codes for anything. Should anything really go wrong I can always uninstall + reinstall it as a last resort.

Therefore, if you have the knowledge to poke about in the source codes of XP, you're probably almost qualified to write an OS from scratch...

For JSF, this middleware interface will be the key, no only for us, but also for convincing the rest of the global market (Israel etc) who may want in the future to add non-US weapons.... (The UAE for example made a huge fuss over F-16 codes - but they are still buying Black Shaheen/Storm Shadow). Since the US dominate the guided weapon market anyhow, are they going to let a few lost sales of AIM-9Xs to Israel trump the potential sale of 'replacement F16' JSFs to that country?

Or perhaps we should demand Lock Mart use Linux????