PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Feeling eternally trapped as a FI.
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2006, 07:48
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The worm will turn

Unfortunatly you have come to the market just as most of the airlines have been taken in by all this intigrated (F)ATPL course bull that the big training providors are pushing out to the airlines, some of the airlines have also discovered a way of getting tax breaks on the training that the sutdent pilot is paying for.

The bottom line is that untill the airlines catch on to the fact that they are spending more money on extra sim training that they save on tax to produce a first officer who is only just able to control the aircraft without the autopilot then things wont change.

It is a sad fact that the industry has been drawn in by all the bull about psycometric tests and selection to get onto an intigrated course and the quality product that this is "said" to produce, the plane fact is the only entry requirement that I can see is a cheque twice the size of that needed for a modular course.

I can now feel the blood of intigrated course pilots boiling but the sad fact is that they have never made an independant avation decision in there lives and don't have very much "hands on" flying time and therefor skill, they are very good at going heads down into the FMC but do I want that at 5000ft in the London TMA?. I would rather they spent more time looking out of the window (large reality display for intigrated students).
I can't let one of these pepole land the aircraft at all but the largest airfields without checking there ability and have had to take control during a landing on an increasing rate.

The sad fact is that unless the student is very gifted these people don't get enough hands on flying, some of the then have never spun an aircraft or flown at more than 60 degrees of bank, what is this saying about the ability that they have in a major upset?

I would much rather be sitting next to a 1500 hour ex-instructor and very soon the bean counters will see the error of the the "intigrated only" BS that the industry has been taken in by and you will get your chance with an airline .................... I look forward to flying with you.

Last edited by A and C; 26th May 2006 at 12:47.