PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATIS messages
Thread: ATIS messages
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2006, 19:38
30W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeap, others SID's do exist to FL's - accepted I'd even forgotten about NX when it's only next door!!!

Chilli, thanks for the insight of your ops. Whilst accepting it works for you, I think the rest of the industry are a long way, if ever from moving to what you suggest. For good reasons I.M.A.O

PF of a wide-body jet, departing on a dark, windy, raining night - low pressure. 1013 set on runway (as PF, as suggested). Get airbourne and bang - engine failure/fire whatever..... Any emergency turn will be based on ALTITUDE, and actioned by PF (who doesn't know where he is in relation to ALTITUDE as is on 1013). Aircraft acceleration and single engine flap retraction is based on ALTITUDE, again all actions being led by PF. There are huge issues with the change you suggest to having 1013 from the runway for one pilot. In such high workload situations, having an altimeter in front of you which is not giving you the information you critically need (terrain based!) won't be accepted. PNF may well be very busy himself, monitoring being only one of his duties if he's carrying out any applicable 'recall' drills etc.

One could argue that PF could change back to QNH uder such circumstances..... yes he could - but with an awful lot else going on at that point, I would bet a lot wouldn't!!

Being talked through by PNF, because he has the right setting is not an option that would be deemed suitable I suspect by airlines or the authority.
Looking across at your colleagues instruments to make such calls and decisions is equally unacceptable in the bigger world.

Using the standby alt as the ATC RT report datum if 1013 has been set on departure seems to me the far more practical option.

Good discussion area...... more than happy to chat about it with a cuppa next time i visit LACC, if indeed your there not TC.

Regards
30W