PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Foreign Pilot IR & CFI
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2006, 20:12
raysalmon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigGrecian
I am currently planning to instruct JAA Licences in the US.
I currently have a FAA PPL based on a Foreign UK JAA PPL.
I understand I have to complete training as required for the Commercial and the CFI.
However, an exam called the Instrument Rating Foreign Pilot exists - which is a CATS exam then a paperwork exercise to get an FAA IR based on my JAA IR. Baed on 61.75 which is Instrument added to a Foreign Pilot PPL.
Can I then add a CFI to this Commercial with Instrument privileges based on my JAA Licence? or do I need a full FAA IR?
I have read the Part 61 181 over and can't seem to get a definitive answer from it - or do I need a full FAA IR?
I asked one of local examiners and they didn't even realise a foreign pilot instrument rating existed - however one did - any ideas anyone?
An Instrument Rating issued on the basis of an ICAO Instrument rating may only be added to a Private Pilot Certificate and will offer no administrative advantage towards gaining an unrestricted FAA Instrument Rating. Even if you take the Instrument - Foreign Pilot knowledge test, to become a CFI in the U.S. you will need a Commercial Pilot Certificate with Instrument privileges at the commercial level.

Instrument Ratings issued on the basis of a foreign pilot license will read "Commercial Privileges limited to VFR only" In order to get that restriction removed, you would need to pass the Instrument - Airplane knowledge test and practical test, regardless of whether you had taken the Instrument - Foreign Pilot test and had been issued a restricted Instrument Rating on your private pilot certificate.

Since the question bank for the Instrument - Foreign Pilot and Instrument - Airplane are one and the same, I would highly recommend taking the Instrument - Airplane knowlege test and then take the practical test for the Instrument Rating. That way your Instrument Rating will read: "Instrument Rating - US Test Passed" That means when you pass the practical test for your Commercial Certificate, you will not receive the "Commercial privileges limited to VFR only" limitation on your certificate as your Instrument Rating is an unrestricted one at that point.

The Instrument Rating practical test in the U.S. is very similar to a UK IMC Practical test - of those are still done (it's been a while!)

Ray