PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 2
Thread: CORK - 2
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2006, 14:38
Tom the Tenor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the RN Sea King should have got a mention but my ommission shows how changed operations are now at Cork compared to times past when a Sea King's arrival would have up to date news blaring out on Cork Airport FM! The commercial traffic at Cork is now the life blood and in the fluidity and drama of the rugby airlift the poor Sea King was forgotten. I had thought she and her crew were resting up after a SAR operation.

The work on the flyover at the Kinsale Road (Magic) Roundabout has been continuing apace. The bridges are in place at what will be both the east and west exits to the N25. Most of work now looks like the filling in of earthworks in preparation for the new roads leading up and down from the bridges. The timescale is something I am not sure of but popular opinion says the project is ahead of schedule. The congestion is a little bit less now at the roundabout but it is somewhat smoke and mirrors as the bottleneck at rush hour is now further back towards the airport at the dangerous junction by Bull McCabes bar where there are new traffic lights. From the safety point of view the traffic lights are very welcome in my opinion.

Last Sunday the excitement did not cease at Cork Airport. Apart from the welcome return of the rugby fans there were two fab visitors, a DH Dove and a Portuguese TriStar on a hire in for Eirjet(?) to Faro. Also, it was like olden times between the airport and the terminal with the roads jammed up with traffic due to relations coming to collect loved ones off the rugby flights mixing with the busy weekend comings and goings.

Even last night the nostalgia continued as TNT had to hire in an Air Atlantique Electra in place of the usual BAe 146. Finally, all the signs are indeed there that Cork Airport is once again becoming more welcoming to corporate visitors - today so far and yesterday has seen the arrival of a lot of bizjet traffic.