PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 LEADING EDGE TRANSIT LIGHT
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2006, 09:51
metabolix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LEM old son, you are tying yourself in knots.

Why can't I recycle even if I've got roll?
If one slat is stuck extended, maybe because of ice accumulation, I'd try the full extended position, using F10, then back to up...

In case you exacerbate the problem. What happens if it wasn't ice accumulation and the slat then stays at the full extended position?

but we can indeed use them once we are dispatched (that means during taxi, for example)

Quite so. The point being that you are not going to get airborne with a flying control problem (even if it is just a light - how do you know at that stage? Going back to have look from the cabin does not really count as a qualified check), particularly one which requires a full maintenance check of the system before you go to ensure that it is just an indication problem. If it was decided to not bother getting it checked out and get airborne anyway, then I respectfully suggest that there are bigger issues other than a perceived discrepency between documents.

Okay so let's suppose you get to the aircraft and you check the ADDs and see that the engineers have carried out a full operating check of the system (as per the DDPG) and, having established that it is a faulty indication, removed the bulbs from the affected leading edge flap. (You cannot go with a leading edge flap u/s. The DDPG is to check that it is only an indication problem).

Being aware that the bulbs have been removed when you get airborne, should you encounter any roll when the flaps are retracted (which you will get if any part of the leading edge stays out. The 300kts/.65 is there so that should a flap extend uncommanded, the roll doesn't become uncontrollable and having controlled it, you can then carry out the QRH which says to limit speed to 230kts) and all other systems indicate 'normal', then using one's undoubted powers of deduction, it would suggest that horror of horrors, not only did you have an indication problem with a particular leading edge device, but also that it happens to be that very same device that has now stayed out. Enter QRH and limit to 230kts. Simple.

Last edited by metabolix; 23rd May 2006 at 10:20.