PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoons an Raptors
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2006, 20:09
RonO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure Nimrod 4 indicates Brit only programs are so peachy

Jacko,
carping? Just observing that ITAR waivers don't authorize technology transfer.

As to “hardly unreasonable” requests, reason has little to do with it. Brits didn't ask for the secret sauce at the beginning and now drag it off the street to get a better deal. You go for it girl. Wave that flag. Bang that drum. Count those jobs.

Much enjoyed the thought of "unfancy" Bae upgrades - "none of yon yankee plastic crap 'ere lad, just beat this 'orse shoe into shape wi’ yer knuckles" (apologies to YKW)

AFAIK, T1 to T2 upgrade, T3, & future weapons integration have been taken out of Typhoon program to make Typhoon FCP. Don't think that's been funded yet.

Typhoon partner deal was to stop them dang furriners from hyping big orders to steal work from pure & innocent brit lads & lasses. Explained by your MinDef chappie, reneging on UK orders means giving up brit workshare so they don't loose out in the Fatherlands. Plus paying moving expenses of course. But no penalties.

Typhoons TLC being warranteed don’t make it cheaper. F-16 vs Gripen is interesting as it shows newer kit is simpler/cheaper to run than old, esp. if it's one of the major customer requirements. But isn't that intuitive?

Prices I quote are Dec 2005 & after the events you list. I read Lockheed has published JSF partner price list. What does it say? Still half Typhoon?

You continue to include R&D to inflate your JSF price & leave it out of Typhoon. That's retarded, you need to stop. If you want to play mandarin, compare discretionary money2go for each.

Your MinDef says Typhoon UPC for T1&T2 is £64.8m. Not sure £45m for T3 & beyond is credible.

I doubt if future exports for Typhoon are dependant on a UK T3 purchase. However JSF contracts prereq sizable UK orders. Sounds like you can have your export cake & eat it.

I'll say again, not trying to tell you lot that you should buy JSF. Your call. Just trying to turn Land of Hope n'Glory down a decibel or 2 to encourage rationale discussion. Judging by the name contest, that ship has sailed.