PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of 121.5mhz (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2006, 20:07
RoyHudd

I Have Control

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Communication gap/Experience gap.

Most PPL/SPL's do not have a good understanding of the nature of work when operating up to 300 or more tons of jet aircraft safely, expeditiously, quietly, and fuel-efficiently, within crowded airspace. And, to be fair, how could they comprehend this without practical experience? (Let's forget computer games please.)

Conversely, all airline crews are constituted of people who have been at the low end of the learning curve on their way upwards in their chosen PROFESSION. We do understand, and simply ask for a means whereby our concentration is not distracted at a critical period of the flight by insistent and often poor R/T from a relatively inexperienced and overloaded single pilot.

As we have an obligation to monitor 121.5 on our 3rd set, for good reason, a separate frequency such as 121.4, also monitored by the same agencies, could provide the basis for a service for lost non-professional pilots. Or indeed the unusual and UK-specific "Practice PAN".

I agree, the threat of a PA-28/C172 blundering into packed controlled airspace around EGSS/EGCC/EGLL/EGKK/EGPF or other places is a real one. These people should be helped if uncertain of their position, to avoid a serious accident.

Ultimately, my personal belief is that good aviation practice must dictate that even learning to fly a small aircraft in the UK should require basic radio-nav, visual nav, met and R/T skills at an early stage. Whoever said flying should be easy or cheap?

No doubt someone will find my considered contribution as condescending, hyper-critical, or whatsoever.

Last edited by RoyHudd; 21st May 2006 at 23:00.