PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Myanmar info request
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2006, 17:14
safelife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To beef up my post with some inside information...
Before considering going there, please be aware of these things:

No GSM roaming, no way to get or use a mobile phone.
International calls are about 5 US$/min and likely to be monitored.
Internet slow and censored, hotmail, Yahoo and the like banned (others might work).
Bringing in or using satellite phones brings you into jail, directly.
All credit cards unacceptable within due to US sanctions.
Local currency subject to ~30% inflation. 1000 kyat biggest note, worth about 70 ¢. No foreign banks, no way to transfer money.
Power cuts are frequent, most hotels use their on generators.
Bomb blasts are a regular occurrance, check here for a history:
http://www.irrawaddy.org/aviewer.asp?a=5762&z=14

Aviation-wise:
Local AIP charts are unreliable, one time quoting a MSA of 1000' instead of 10,000' (...well...).
ATC capability limited, radar only now and then, weather reports like "wheathere ise hazy, otherwize suneshine".
Some airports have high terrain, but poor approach procedures (VYHH, VYPT). Better pack a GPS.
Weather can be heavy, monsoon rain makes airports close frequently, all approches exept RGN and MDL are timed beacon approaches only.
I wonder if some places could be operated out of with proper performance calculation taking into account the steep terrain. Glad I had fine weather most of the time!
Passenger facilities rather limited. No jetty, no computers used for check in (stickers taken from a paper to track seat allocations, even for Thai and Qatar checkin). Therefore no checkin for connections flight possbile.
Security screening far from our standards.
Terminal is rather dirty, facilities are leaking in all aspects.
Ground transport is sometimes scary. Two southern cross ferry pilots recently almost got killed.
Took a med evac to SIN to get them into a decent hospital. (wonder who paid!) None trustworthy here...