PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor jobs??
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2006, 08:01
Sykes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Such negativity.

And by such "experts".

Pinns84, Welcome to D&G, where the bitter and twisted dwell.

I'm surprised that no-one so far has mentioned China Southern or Singapore flying college in W.A. They take G3 instructors (once you've got 100 instructing hours) and pay them a full-time wage. I've got 7 instructor mates who made the move from MB to PJT and they're all loving it! They get between 35 and 45k p.a (depending on location and whether Twin approved or not) and plenty of hours.

Pinns84, do a Pprune search for "China Southern" in D&G. Plenty of comments there (good and bad). When I was visiting over there in January this year, I was told that both China Southern and Singapore FC were looking to increase their student intakes and were trying to put even more through (which leads to requiring more instructors).

The net result of that is that in places like Moorabbin there is now a shortage of instructors.

So, when MBA747 quotes as FACTS:

1. Instructors paid anything from $25 to $35 a FLYING hour....not the award ,no flying no pay, duties include cleaning toilets, vacuuming offices,cleaning the kitchen.
2. Pilots employed as contractors, paid well below the award, not paid super, no work insurance so that if you damage an aircraft you pay, you land in farmland you compensate the farmer, you pay your own tax from a salary which is already well below the award.
3. To many instructors at flying schools so that any flying is rationed to the many, resulting in not much flying for the individual and resulting in a low salary.
Okay, point 1 does occur, but is becoming less common, as Instructors ARE going west once they've got 100 hours. Schools in MB are now beginning to realise that they have to pay proper wages if they want to remain viable.

Point 2 is (as described) is pure fantasy! I'm sure there are plenty of IWA's out there that have some of the points mentioned, but not all in one (as your point implies). Please, if anyone has signed IWA's with those conditions, seek legal advice! Or look elsewhere. There are lots of schools with vacancies for instructors.

Point 3 DID occur, and still does at schools at some of the busier training airports. However, as for Point 1, all the instructors I know at MB and EN are very busy, due to the shortage at their school.
But wait, there's more...

4. Airline opportunities limited, pay for your own endorsement A320, B737NG about 40K. It's only a matter of time you will have to pay for line training. Its happening in the UK and Europe, EAGLE JET charge about 30K EUROS for 300 hours line training.
Airline opportunities are expanding. There's more movement up top than there has been since 2001. Many places that do charter, Bank runs and RPT in pistons are now having difficulty keeping drivers, as they're moving up to bigger things. And just b/c EAGLE JET is charging for line training doesn't mean that it will expand to the rest of the UK/Europe industry or that "it's a matter of time before it happens here".

And still more...

5. Airline flying in the US is in a worse predicament. Most airlines are either in Chapter11 or just out of Chapter11. salaries have plumetted.

6. Airlines in Asia.........well unless your a Capt you will be on a local contract, however there are exceptions......not many.

7. Airlines in South America, well I don't fly there so I can't really comment, needless to say you must speak Spanish.
Great FACTS, but US/Asia/Sth America airline issues probably aren't that relevant to getting an instructor rating in OZ. (And they speak Portugese in Brazil )

And one more...

pinns84, just remember some people who post here have their own agendas. There are pilots here pushing the flying career in the hope to attract people like you so that they can build hours at your expense. It's a tough, selfish business.
MBA747, isn't your daugher a flying instructor? Did you get around to buying her those 50 hours multi so that she could get her Twin Training approval? (Another thread). So maybe YOUR agenda is to discourage people joining GA to give your daughter a better chance with less competition????
(It would explain your negative attitude)

P.S Apologies Capt. Wingdrop for rebutting before you could.