PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Early Config change
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2006, 19:43
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jondc9
Pilot Pete:recall the MD80 (northwest airlines) at KDTW. took off with incorrect flap/slat setting crashed killing all but one miracle child
What's that got to do with increasing your workload just after take-off by using the method you discribed? I agree you shouldn't 'blindly' rely on warning systems, but your idea is rediculous and potentially DECREASING flight safety, certainly not improving it.

As I pointed out, my company SOPs already get the PNF to check the system you mentioned (landing gear) at a more appropriate time (when doing the After Take-off Checklist), not at the point of calling for it to go up.

I would like to add that my company SOPs also call for the PNF (always right seat occupant whilst taxiing) to challenge me with "Flaps" in the Before Take-off Checks. The workload is not high when I reach over, grasp the flap handle, ensure the handle is gated correctly, check the flap guage to ensure that the needles agree with the selected position and I have the 'green light' illuminated (737), which I have just mentioned in my Before Take-off Review, ensuring we have everything set correctly and it is still appropriate to the conditions.......

See, someone put a lot of thought into producing APPROPRIATE checks at APPROPRIATE times, backing up configs and performance in order to ENHANCE flight safety. You sir, have apparently not put the same amount of thought into your procedure and if you have, then you are deluded to think it enhances safety, because it doesn't, which is probably why no airline that I can think of has adopted it.

PP