PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier Carrier Currency
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2006, 18:06
SSSETOWTF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Widger,

"Ever stood looking over the edge of a ramp?" - Yep. Spent 8 weeks flying off the good ship Lusty

"Ever launched yourself up the deck in the dark and into the bleak Atlantic Sky, with nothing but water below you?" - Nope, not the Atlantic, but I have in the Pacific & Persian Gulf Skies.

"Ever sat in a cockpit hanging over the edge of the deck, relying on that guy in the yellow vest to stop you in time, before you and the jet topples over the edge? Ever been spooked sat lashed on deck, when you feel the whole aircraft move as the ship turns?" - Yep. Operated off LHD-6, USS Bonhomme Richard, for 7 1/2 months.

You're right that ships do move around a bit, but personally I find the scan in the hover alongside a big superstructure (in the day), to be easier than trying to find some festering marker boards (on a UK mexe) or having to look over the side of the jet at 70' to make sure you're over an un-marked USMC pad. But, as with all thing, ask 2 Harrier pilots, you'll get 2 different answers.

I wholeheartedly agree with both you and Orca though, that it takes a lot of work to get the boys and girls who operate the ship, from the stokers to the deck handlers, up to speed and working as a fully integrated team. So I would suggest that the RN requirement is somewhat driven from that side of things rather than what the pilot has to do/practise.

At the end of the day, I don't believe that the 'crabs' have ever taken the T-10 to sea. We all just figure it out as we go, and, so far, it hasn't proven to be too tricky (in daylight ...). Maybe that's because we're a little more conservative with our limits than the SHar boys - but that could probably lead to another thread.

Regards,
Single Seat, Single Engine, The Only Way To Fly