PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Early Config change
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2006, 07:29
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am totally in favor of making the cockpit way more professional.

instead of saying gear up and that 's that for example, I believe in something like:

PF: Gear Up

PNF: positive rate of climb confirmed, gear selected up, gear in transit, gear up and locked, uplatch check complete, gear selected "off" .pressure checked and quantitiy checked ok

or something like that.

less is no more in the cockpit for intelligent disciplined pilots. for morons, well better just hope for the best!
You'd better get on to Boeing and Airbus and tell them to remove all their warning systems because it will make pilots more professional. The whole reason they put them in place is to REDUCE your workload and do the monitoring for you, only warning you when there is a problem.

Your idea of upping the PNF workload into the stratosphere just after takeoff if completely flawed. I would assume you are advocating similar complex drills for movement of every lever and switch, otherwise you are not being consistent? As for it making a pilot more professional, I think you will find it would do the opposite. As others have pointed out, it's about workload management. The PNF is primarily moving the levers for the PF at this stage, but equally important is MONITORING the PF. Your system would have the PNF over-worked, especially if the PF is hand-flying the aircraft. Your idea is a naive opinion about 'professionalism' in the flight-deck. To have any credibility you should have suggested checking of these system functions at a more appropriate time, oh, just like my SOPs tell me to do with the After Take-off Checklist.

PP

Last edited by Pilot Pete; 19th May 2006 at 19:48.