PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MoD cost cuts 'will put troops in peril'
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2006, 20:05
rafloo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the clowns who have led us into this mess

What mess? Are the Armed Forces in a Mess....or has the RAF just realised what life in the Armed Forces really means? Ive been a serviceman for close on 30 years and life in the RN has always been like this. When I joined my First Squadron we were gapped an IRI and an HWI. That was a long time ago....and today, we are still gapped but we have learnt to live with it, learnt ways to avoid the pitfalls of being sent to do back to back tours ( Between 1981 and 1983 I was in the UK for 6 weeks)....and we have discovered new ways of fudging the figures so that rather than carrying gaps you shoulder them.

The equipment we use nowadays is fantastic compared to that of 25 yrs ago. We used to eat off Tin plates FFS.... the Old flying boots were blooming awful....remember those helmets which were designed for a rock ape? What about the watches that lost 3 minutes every hour...

One thing that hasn't changed in the RN is the people.....they remain the funniest, hardest and most proudest bucnh of servicemen I have had the honour to etc.... They fight hard and play hard and both fight and play to win.

So, I dont think the Armed Forces are in a mess....certainly no more so than they were 30 yrs ago. But I do think that all this bitching and moaning from RAF types shows that the RAF is slowly and gently waking up to life in the Armed Forces.