PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Myanmar info request
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2006, 15:20
ASIAN FROG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are few start up airlines but obviously linked to the Junta. (If not you cannot run any business). I have participated to the training of one cadet (son of an airline owner). I know there are few ATR 42/72 and there are some needs. (On a limited scale)
Observations from Thailand:
The Junta has moved the capital in the middle of nothing without announcing that to its neighbours. Until now ASEAN countries were smoothing the isolation of Burma, but the last developments show a deteriorating situation. There have been few attempts, some westerners involved and I have heard it was less and less recommended to go now. However there are few expats and I know some are expecting to make fortune in this country.
Skirmishes with KAREN people from time to time in the newspapers.
The economical situation is deteriorating also.
From the press it appears we are on the edge of an unstable situation
On Aviation side, the fleet is small, obviously they depend on military and expats pilots, they have no cadets until now (Except very particular cases, sons of VIP). If you are lucky it can be very great because the potential of the country is huge: 48 Millions of Inhabitants, nearly no roads and no railways. But you have to check by yourself very thoroughly the situation in order not to be involved in a turmoil.
As westerners, our skin colour is not the good one in such events.