PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R/T status in KL FIR
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2006, 14:30
Virtual Reality

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With regards to Hong Kong Atc, yes I must say, it gives me great pleasure to fly into that place. The tone of their voice and phraseology gives me the impression they are professionals, trained to and using the best facilities available. Information is always forthcoming and they will try to accommodate your requests. If they are not able to acommodate, they will suggest available options. Clearances are given on time with no indication of rushing. Everything seems to be well planned...

Apart from what had been written by C154 WRT Hong Kong ATC, it seems that they really mean business to make HKG as the preferred 'HUB' in Asia. HKG Intl arpt is The Airport of The Year for the last 4 consecutive years, which housed the Airline of The Year and if there is any award for ATC, may be they will get it as well.

To create the smoothness of the traffic flow, they have gates cum speed limit point (SLP) called 'SIERA' for traffics from PRC airspace, 'MANGO' for traffics from W, SW and S, "MELON' for traffics from E and SE. Apart from Area Radar Contlr, they have App Contlr and Director b4 be handed over to twr contlr. Although lots of freq change during arrival, one can expect un-interrupted descent until establish on LOC, except once in a while especially when you are coming from the E and rwy 07 L/R are in used, where dep and arr traffic will be crossing each other at wpt TD or RAMEN. As far as ATCer is concerned, I never hear anyone of them 'screaming & yelling' over the radio, unlike KL FIR, it is quite common to hear pilots get scolded or being told off when they make mistakes or even late in answering the radio call. I would say they are more professional in that sense although they have to face more challenges especially dealing with airlines from mainland China (hundreds of them everyday & their English ......??? eemmmm .... )

ATIS - I can get as far as 250-300 nm away or simply get it from D-ATIS.

METAR - Hundreds of miles away from 'HKG' NDB, apart from HF.

Overall, I think HKG and SIN ATC are the best in this region as far as ATC controllers are concerned. If I were to compare other services, I will be embarrassed myself. I am not trying to offend anyone but would prefer to give my sincere opinion and observation so that everyone can learn and improve.