PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Feeling eternally trapped as a FI.
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2006, 07:57
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Lembrado.

You are edging towards to many hours SEP and getting into another problem area unless you move on in the instructing world to CPL and IR instruction.

If you do want to continue instructing you maybe have to move to an airfield which has more commercial operators working out of it. This will not only get the networking side of things going but also get you a "local address" to a base. If you havn't even had a sniff of an interview I would bite the bullet and invest in one of Pilot Pete's or that other lady who'e name escapes me for a CV and interview course.

I know it might be a bit of a change of lifestyle for you but Aberdeen has always had a bit of a problem keeping instructors more than 6 months due to them all disappearing off to local based operators. Flight academy scotland have been advertising for FI's there quite recently. Maybe Mister Geezer can fill you in a bit more on the situation there.

Or are you only applying to jet operators? Most people I have heard about recently who have gone up the ladder away from instructing have been taken on by turboprop operators. Don't knock it, these new TP's are just as well if not better equiped than the older jets and the pay isn't that bad (In fact its pretty good compared to instructing, working at McDonalds etc etc just not as good as a 757 FO but then again you don't have to live in MAN and the like so your standard of living is better). And they are quite good fun to fly with relatively short sectors and lots of landings in all sorts of airfields.

Good luck

MJ