PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Early Config change
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2006, 12:25
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly the 737 has it's full share of ergonomic pitfalls.
Helios got caught out by the config/cabin altitude horn, and how many of us didn't say in amazement on our conversions, "That is going to kill people one day" yet the regulators have let it exist for decades.

Hydraulics and Anti ice are another, and many of us will have stopped their hand heading for the flap lever instead of the gear. The point is, most of us do stop short.

A rather fierce and unpleasant instructor used to drill into my comversion course the perils of being a multi-fingered switch-flicker. He'd bawl you out, military style, if you didn't grasp the switch with finger and thumb, pause, then move it, not flick it or push it with one finger, but pick it up move it deliberately to its new position, even the taxi light! - (oly exception is the landing lights gang bar). Seemed pedantic at the time but now I know he was right. Likewise with gear and flaps, reach out to the lever, grasp it and pause, think, is this what I want to do? then select accordingly. Takes a split second, but that little pause tells me and the other guy that a thought process is going on and is very comforting. And if you think you don't have time for all that, well, you're rushing things so SLOW DOWN! There is virtually nothing that needs doing instantaneously in aviation, there is always time for a pause - check - act sequence.

The gear lever never selects down inadvertently if you lift it out of the Up detent and put a little positive pressure on it as you slide it towards Off, the pressure ensures it drops in and doesn't skip marginally to Down. Made me jump, it did, before I remembered how that screaming skull would have done it!