PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air PCE addresses on DLR assessments.
Old 2nd Jul 2001, 16:11
Streamline

Those that are really interested in the subject might want to read: "PILOTS,PERSONALITY,AND PERFORMANCE: human behaviour and stress in the skies" ISBN 0-89930-577-6.

As a pilot you are obliged to accept a series of tests, as a consequence you are entitled the right to a class one medical.

It is clear that the psychological aspect of the pilot medical certificate is an area that can be easily abused.

If this is the case, then there is a serious safety problem in the making.

If pilots have to fear their management because of possible actions against them, and this via their medical then the local CAA needs to get involved.

If the CAA can not be relied upon either, then the CAA of third countries should ban that Airline to fly into their jurisdiction.

It is my understanding that there are reasons enough to keep a very close look at what is happening in the Gulf and not only at GF.

May I add that recently a couple of doctors have been convicted for serious crimes against their patients. Hence, nobody will convince me that there are no doctors around without personality disorders.

Doctors simply do not get screened the way pilots do, however, both professions share common areas of responsibility.

One can state that no risk may be taken when human lives are involved.

These kind of reasononigs are valid only,if one accepts at the sametime that nobody can prove he will never make a mistake.

I assume that DLR know what they are doing but at the same time I refer to an article in Flight International, in which was stated that Lufthansaa had to ground a considerable amount of their pilots if they narrowed their criteria.

When will common sense prevail?
------------------
Smooth Trimmer

[This message has been edited by Streamline (edited 02 July 2001).]