PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LifeFlight Melb. Last one out, please turn off the lights.
Old 13th May 2006, 01:27
Brett Rankin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Unnecessary angst

Originally Posted by Overwait
One thing that EMS has picked up on though is the fire fighting aspect...Who will think of the children when the BK is off in Canberra again at $3500 an hour? (Did LifeFlight pass the RFS audit this/last year????)
The Powercor Children’s Helicopter is dedicated to the NETS workload.
Other helicopter is the Fire Fighter and we charged >$3,600 per hour... however hoping not to have to do this anymore... or are you unable to read?
Originally Posted by Overwait
Oh that's right, the VPAW or CHC or RFDS who DO carry kids...Maybe not in a Neo-cot, but they do still do it....SEVERAL (in fact more than 20) pilots I have spoken to have all carried mum/dad and tot to hospital from regional centres over the past 25 years. They may not be weeks/hours old, but they have been very young and very small.
The role you're talking about here is for PETS retrievals and primary accident workload, which is undertaken by AAV, helicopters.... not us!
The Powercor Children’s Helicopter is contracted from 8am to 6pm for Newborn Emergency Transportation (NETS).
I understand AAV helicopters (VPAW helo) are capable and have always transported 1 NETS member and 1 bag. This is and has been their capability to date, although I understand AAV are investigating the installation of the NETS ICU system onboard the VPAW N3's and will be able to take a standard NETS team (2 NETS) along with them, but cannot accommodate the full NETS team (3 NETS), or the full ICU system, or accommodate a parent onboard the return flight. Not having a go at VPAW or AAV helicopters... its just reality that you cant be all things to all people all of the time!
I also understand the MICA Paramedic and some equipment will have to be removed to achieve this, leaving it unavailable for primaries during the 7-8 hour duration of average NETS mission.
VPAW Pilot - chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.....
Not ideal for a primary Air Ambulance helo.... but is AAV's proposal for after hours NETS operations, and/or replacement should LifeFlight discontinue the Children’s Helicopter operations.
To date, we've made ourselves available outside of the contract hours when AAV helicopters are unable to do the minimum of transporting 1 NETS member and 1 bag. Not having a go at VPAW or AAV helicopters... its just reality that some of the busiest primary response HEMS services in Australia aren't always available for NETS/PETS retrievals.
VPAW and CHC/AAV helicopters provide excellent services to the public of Victoria, and our publicity is not meant to take away from their very important activity or professionalism. We’re not saying we’re better than VPAW or CHC/AAV helicopter operations, we’re saying we can provide a better level of service to NETS, because we can dedicate our helicopter and focus upon their needs solely!
The NETS Director publicly stating LifeFlight’s dedicated Children’s Helicopter has “improved the responsiveness and effectiveness of the states Newborn Emergency Transport Service” reinforces this.
EMS01 - You're full of ASSumption and misinformation! Anyone who creates his profile simply to post misinformation and sling sh#t is not worth the time of day!
Collins street is intrigued by the level of professionalism displayed upon this post, and very interested in following up on several of the individuals! Make no mistake about this... doesnt matter if you use home or work computers... you apparently leave a cyber trail that can be followed!
Thankyou Mr Overweight!