PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Freedom to SAS long haul pilots!
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2006, 15:47
SASsurvivor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally some proper feed back here!

There are good reasons for your views (or fears), Ramrise. Colleagues without any sense of loyalty to the unions are a great threat to our future. One of the challenges for the unions is that these people do not work in the open. They work with their allies, members of "pilotforbundet", colleagues close to the age of 60 etc. They would never voice out their opinions in discussions, but rather "sign up" in private when their oportunity comes.
Personally, I do not think this system with many small airlines will last. In some time a new manager will replace JL, and he will probably see how much SAS can save with a merger (this is after all what other airlines do). If we have been able to maintain our union structure to this point, we are safe, but until that day we, have dozens of challenges. The key issue here is perceverance, and that is what all of us should keep in mind.

I notice that cfs80 does not agree in venting these concerns on this forum. But I think this is like AIDS: if you do not talk about it, and make everyone aware of it, it will infect us all!

Aviationreporters responce is interesting.
Your first concern is probably rooted in the SAS pilots culture. The average SAS pilot has never been very keen to leave his/her airline, but rather been quite sceptical of other operators and environments. This is however in the process of changing as an increasing number of pilots realize that their future prospects with SAS is somewhat limited.
The other two issues are probably about the same thing: incompetent management. The unions have given great concessions to the company, and there is absolutely no reason why all SAS owned ailines should not make money. The corporate culture is very much centered about job protection for management, social democratic government inheritance and the lacking ability to realize that SAS could learn from other operators. As I see it, SAS needs to get some new inputs, they need to get some new management from the rest of the aviation world and stop recruiting internally bred managers. The airlines have been moving in circles for more than half a century while the rest of the world has become more globally oriented!

SS