PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA Flight-Deck Affirmative Action
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2006, 07:53
FlingWingKing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bman0429, I salute you as the only black pilot (I am assuming you are) posting on this thread, for your honesty and understanding of our situation in this wonderful country. You have made some very valid points and your concern is indeed appreciated.

First let me say again that the post by JG1 was brilliant. If you read his first point you will see that he actually touched the nerve of this whole SAA AA issue. Also read point 11 again. Some of his points might lean towards the extreme side of things, but I think in general he wrote a very balanced post. Off course, you are welcome to disagree.

bman0429 you certainly have valid points regarding the miniral issue in Africa. I for one, fully agree with you that Europe and the USA have been exploiting Africa for decades. They have taken what they wanted and damn the rest. If they coudn't get what they wanted, they just destabilized the particular region and looted the place regardless. There are many examples of this, but we will leave that for another thread.

WOW, we are really digressing from the issue here!!!

"Can anyone give the numbers for the number of "fast tracked" AA Captains at SAA. Is this a real and present threat or an imagined one?"

I know of only 1 black pilot who jumped the queue...127 places that is. In a company with 800 pilots, that was a big jump! The circumstances around that issue is not realy important right now, so I will not elaborate. SAA put together a group to come up with a workable solution to address AA. I have heard that the group recently disintegrated because they could not agree on certain issues. Pity!! Personally I think some of us are crying wolf too soon with regards to fast tracking. SAA just became a full member to Star Alliance who prescribe certain conditions. It is in the interest of SAA to adhere to these conditions. It is also in the interest of the whole STAR network to ensure SAA does.

"I have yet to hear one person's alternative to AA. The only thing I have heard is maintain the status quo."

There is, in my opinion, only one solution to AA in aviation. DO NOT COMPROMISE SAFETY. If you are suitable for the job, regardless your skin colour, you must get it. That is the bottom line. You can NOT fast track people in this industry, or any other where lives are at stake.