PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passenger pontification and pilot safety
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2006, 16:29
thePassenger

@ John Tullamarine
Strangely you are one of the very few here who understood the reasons for my postings. Probably some of my posts were too provoking (my fault) for many pilots here, so most people did not concentrate on rational arguments when replying but instead felt personally attacked and reacted in an irrational way (I hope their employers will never appoint them to participate in a TV-discussion dealing with aviation safety - strangling their discussion participants will not make a very good impression ).

@Tigs2
I would not say that I have no knowledge of aviation accidents or CRM/Human Factors. I may have exaggerated my ignorance just a little bit. I guess, I have also exaggerated my fears a little bit...probably I have exaggerated EVERYTHING a little bit to provoke discussion. Unfortunately the result was not "discussion" (as I had intended) but calling names, losing oneīs cool head etc

@many here:
I repeatedly asked pilots here to prove that I was wrong. Nobody cared to answer those questions in a rational way or nobody could prove that I was wrong. Regarding the 3-engines-747, which started this whole topic there have been at least some (rational) attempts to prove that this flight was O.K. (though one still can have a different opinion, which I have: as a passenger I definitely would have preferred to land in "New York" instead of having to risk a landing in "New Gimli"...). Of course in all the accidents, I cited, their have been contributing factors and it was never "pilot error" alone. But as in this example from the Kegworth-report:

The cause of the accident was that the operating crew shut down the No.2 engine after a fan blade had fractured in the No.1 engine. This engine subsequently suffered major thrust loss due to secondary fan damage as power was increased during the final approach to land.
The following factors contributed to the incorrect response of the flight crew:

(http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/cms_resou...pdf_502831.pdf)
...pilot error was the primary cause of all those accidents (and many others, like the Cali-accident: http://sunnyday.mit.edu/accidents/calirep.html)

I donīt say this to "bash the pilots" but because it is so easy to become a victim of "contributing factors" (like being "low on fuel", maybe?):

Contributing to the cause of the accident were: 1. The flightcrew's ongoing efforts to expedite their approach and landing in order to avoid potential delays.
There would still be interesting things to discuss concerning safety but I know this will not happen here (at least not as long as my name shows up here).
Therefore, please feel free to bash me now, this time I PROMISE, I will not return and I will not read this thread any longer! Good times are coming!
thePassenger (a.k.a. "idiot")