PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weekend in the Isle of Man
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2006, 09:27
nigelisom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just by way of follow up to all those who were helpful enough to reply.

My wife and I had an interesting trip, Saturday travelled to IOM 2hrs 10 mins lovelly flight absolutely no problems. The guy at Manx flyers was efficient and helpful and soon had us away in their hire car for a very pleasant weekend.
Sunday afternoon departed for Rochester with resonable met but by the time we got to Liverpool discretion was the order of the day and we requested a weather diversion into Hawarden were we ended up overnight. (If anyone needs a good hotel for the night in the Chester area, I can recommend the Chester Court Hotel on Hoole Road, thanks to my helpful taxi driver).
Monday we spent the day at Hawarden ATC waiting for the weather to improve and eventualy got away late afternoon.
By the time we got to the DTY vor the cloud base was lowering and it was starting to rain and when we contacted Luton we were refused a transit so turned east to cut through the gap. We got as far as Cranfield when I decided that the weather was getting beyond a joke so requested another weather diversion into Cranfield. We have a friend in MK so was able to arrange transport and a bed for the night and then spent a long morning with the guys at Cranfield waiting for a window, wich eventually arrived about 12:30 and we were able to complete our fight to Rochester.
So 2 hours there, 2 days back, probably not a record but a further incentive to find the time to get round to doing that IMCR.
Anyway thanks again to all who took the trouble to answer my questions, all useful advice, I flew over Andreas on a lap of the island and it looks to be a very useful alternative and very much in use.

Nigel