PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mountain Flying
Thread: Mountain Flying
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2006, 06:07
rotorboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steep! Aye Carumba....
Shallow, Shallow, Shallow, power in way early, minimize collective movment, always have an out.

I like a low recon, feel the winds, pick my route, often downridege, down slope ( though nothing wrong with upslope if done correctly - ALWAYS have an out and power available.

Steep may work up to <5'-6'K but is a shure way to get killed in a hurry above 6-7k. Strong, GUSTY mtn winds (20+) make holding a steep angle often unsafe and too risky

Always cross ridges at a 45 angle.
Dont be afraid to say no.

Above 10K I often go super light first time in (espically in the summer). Ridge winds are often super light and viarble. IMO those are the most dangerous.

Other good rule I go by if I cant get into a spot after two try's, I look for a new one.

There are times in the B2 astar I am one at a time to 13+.... I have seen too many DA deaths due to heavy a/c and steep aproaches.. up high here in the SW rockies , you can stall a rotorsystem in a hurry. It gets too hot and too high.
My attitude has always been saftey and being conservative from the get go. after you get a feel, you can push a littlle harder. If you do like it, call my boss ( he'll back me up)...

ok off my soap box back to my beer
rb