PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passenger pontification and pilot safety
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2006, 13:04
john_tullamarine

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts
Tigs2 and mckrll,

Reasons are given in the deletions but note that the posts are "hidden" in the background ... if the powers that be should so dictate, said posts can be restored.

My posts was [sic] not out of order, can anyone explain

With respect, I took a contrary view.

Basic concern is that we don't really want threads in this forum degenerating into slanging matches. While I would never want to see the forum become a stilted and staid place, it is not the appropriate avenue for fire and brimstone .. There are other places where such banter is welcome ..

As I read it thePassenger has not resorted to other than polite and pertinent posts .. you may not agree with his views (or indeed my assessment of his posts) ... and my opinion of/agreement with his posts' content is not relevant. My discussions with him off line have satisfied me that he is neither a hacker nor any other sort of nefarious character whom we ought to preclude from the site ..

Provided that

(i) the topic is relevant to flying and the forum's thrust, and

(ii) posts are polite and pertinent to the topic

then they stay. Otherwise, they may be subject to mod edit or removal at mod discretion. In my view, your recent posts (which I deleted) added little, if anything, to the topic and are in the nature of the sort of posts we would prefer not to see in this forum .. ergo deleted .. You are, of course, free to put your case to those at the top of the totem pole and we mods will abide by any direction filtering down therefrom.

So far as the number of posts is concerned, that number remains constant within a thread .. as would be evident if you checked on any other poster's stats within this thread. Like you, I found that a bit confusing when I first realised that that was the way the stats worked.

In spite of the feelings of some of the posters regarding his posts' content, while posts are within the bounds of this forum's social mores, he (and anyone else) is welcome to put his views to the readership. It is, of course, an available option for those who disagree with his thoughts to choose not to post or, indeed, not the read the thread at all. Alternatively, if you disagree, the preferred option is to put a rational argument against the views .. but not rant and cant.

Sorry, buddy, but that's the way this site works .. and it is NOT a democracy .. although we err that way in this forum ... JT