PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R/T status in KL FIR
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2006, 09:14
veloo maniam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Level Bust and Traffic Info

Hello Marcellus W. Tq much 4 your input.
132.6 is a sector whereby transmissions are made more than the other 3 sectors. This sector also encompasses a very short airway of aprox 120nm from PK/Padli//taxul. Controllers have to vector and give the STARs etc within a short period of time. Not only does he/she has to talk to those around the three positions mentioned but also to traffic at VKB and IGARI(This position is outside radar coverage). Not forgetting those tfc that is on climb from SIN towards VKB. These days we also have to monitor the traffic inbound to SIN from the North inorder to ensure they cross PK at FL330, a requirement by SIN ATCC. With this in mind, The ATCers at 132.6 always tend to speak fast to get the message across. These days pilots too do not listen out b4 pressing their mikes. Hence a garbled message down at the ATCC leading to time being lost in repetitions. Pilots are also waiting to get their descent clearance quickly. With so much of transmissions(some can be long..MHxxx identified cleared to Kidot3A arr runway 14L Pibos A trans). This is all ok with the local pilots. Someone from the US comes along and clearance has to be repeated. So it is with pilots from mainland China and Phillipines etc. So we have to go slow here.This is the reason why the 132.6 Controllers shy away from giving long transmissions UNLESS if it is an absolute necessity.
Back to your advice..I totally agree and accept it. However..I have this thing in my mind. These two particular traffic has been flying along the same route for quite awhile. They have both on their TCAS. I am also sure the distances are also available to each other. Hence the absence of traffic info.
ATC will have no knowledge of the reception status inside the cockpit unless told so. What bothers me is whether the TCAS alerts the aircraft that is going through the level of the other, in this case the MH acft. Yes we surely have learnt something from this incident, an incident that could have been prevented in the first place if only either one of the parties were alert.Unlike pilots, ATCers in KUL are not exposed to studies in CRM and Human Factors in Aviation Incident and Accidents.The only knowledge one gets is thru aviation magazines and other related articles which is read by the interested ATCer.No organised seminars or workshops for the guys in the Subang ATCC. Maybe the Airlines in this region can organise one or at least invite ATCers to one. I'll be more than willing to assist anyone in this matter.