PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA Flight-Deck Affirmative Action
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2006, 05:04
bman0429

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2high2fly
bman0429:

The difference between 12 years of freedom and 30 years of freedom as correlated between South Africa and the Deep South in the States is very slight. In your own back yard, there were beatings and killings, segregation based upon creed, impoverishment of non-whites, etc. The only difference is that South Africa labelled this as Apartheid - you didn't. I am contracted in Australia at the moment, and the same goes here. Australia tried to breed out the Abo's, culled and sterilised these indigenous folk. As in the case of the States, the only difference is that the Aussies have not labelled racism as apartheid, but it exists here too. Now, as you are so well-travelled and of such esteemed opinion, tell me all about the affirmative action that was implemented in either your Southern States, or Australia? After all, it was your forefathers who implemented and and administered these atrocities, and even if you were from the Northen United States, your previous generations still stood idly by and chose to ignore the on-goings by their fellow US citizens down South. Now tell me, who's the pot calling the kettle black?
I am so tired of ignorant and ill-informed foreigners passing judgement on our generation of South Africans. And yes, I have always been opposed to the previous racist authority which dominated South Africa. After all, we could have been a mini Super-power had they not cocked it up by installing Apartheid. Nevertheless, when you constantly have to fight your way through the system to gain an equal footing in the work-place, then it does become too much after a while.
Get off your bloody high horse and stop pointing fingers. That's all.
Ummm maybe you need to reread my post?!

I am intimately aquainted with the racism in the USA (all regions)! I was addressing those SAs who would whine and complain about AA. As I said before it ain't fair, but neither was aparthied. Which is/was more unfair?

Your point about 12 years of freedom vs 30 (more like 75+ yrs of "freedom") is apples and oranges. Remember that they are the majority populace and they were there first and they got hosed because they didn't look like the people who are complaining today. They were stipped of their natural place in the hirearchy as the majority citizens. Blacks in the states were always a minority group and had to appeal to higher moral code to which the country was founded upon.

I dunno know what's worse being takin from your home and forced into slavery or being a slave in your own home?

I'm not saying who's better or who's worse. I have travelled a bit and read a bit.