PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 Sector Pay?
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2006, 17:50
maat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would appear, silverhawk, that you are wrong on the tax relief point. This lifted from the BALPA website:
Tax Relief on Subscriptions

Although many of you will have heard already, I am pleased to be able to formally report that we have now heard from the Inland Revenue that you may obtain tax relief on most of your subscriptions to BALPA; specifically that they have approved BALPA as a relevant body under Section 344 ITEPA 2003. The State now, therefore, recognises BALPA on terms similar to the Royal College of Physicians, the Institute of Engineers and the Law Society. This means that at a conservative estimate, taking into account UK non-residents and assuming relief at 40% for UK taxpayers, this collectively will put just over £1 million immediately back into members’ pockets for last year alone.
Much of the debate has centred on the amount of an individual’s subscription that would qualify for relief. We have now agreed a figure of two thirds (66.7%), the highest figure used by the Revenue if the total subscriptions are not adjudged to be wholly qualifying.
I am also pleased to be able to advise you that the first year of qualification will be in respect of subscriptions paid in the 2003/4-tax year.

Instruction for Tax Return

The amount shown in box 1.34 is 66.7% of my annual subscription to BALPA, as recently agreed with the Inland Revenue. Although this does not yet appear on List 3 confirmation is confirmed by your Personal Tax Policy reference SAP/126/PRW/s344. My annual subscription for the 2003/4 year was £ (X). Please also amend my code number for 2004/5 to reflect my 2004/5 subscriptions which I estimate as £ (Y) and of which I claim relief in the amount of £ (2/3Y) "

Which suggests to me that it is not a blanket agreement with the revenue for any trade union. So I rang my accountant who informs me that it is to the best of her knowledge it is a BALPA specific agreement. I should add that her company is very near the airport and does numerous tax returns for pilots from different companies.

With reference to the fixed rate expense allowance (FREA): This is the amount entered in box 1.33 of the tax return and is the amount agreed between the company and it’s local tax office to cover wear and tear aircrew items, it was £728 on my last tax return. I rang my accountant to check this, and she says FREA is being changed in this tax year, but she didn’t know the details. So I rang BALPA Financial Service and asked them. Apparently FREA cannot be claimed for this tax year, we now have to claim individual expenses. The lady in BFS wasn’t sure of the details, but BFS is to issue a letter to all members in 3 to 4 weeks time detailing the changes and advising what and how we can claim expenses in lieu of FREA.

It would appear your information might be wrong again. Will the T & G write to its members advising how to claim expenses from the revenue?

I’m sorry silverhawk and pilothouse; this T & G thing is half cocked. I don’t want well meaning individuals dishing duff advice to other pilots or negotiating with the company on my behalf and I wont support your efforts or the T & G.

We would do better to get a Jet2 specific forum as silverhawk is attempting to do and use it to organise ourselves and form Company Council. We would need 4 CC members at least. If more than 4 people want to be on the CC, candidates can produce their own manifesto and the other members of the forum can vote for who they want to represent them. MANBLK has conducted a poll of sorts, he could organise the voting. Since the moderator of a company forum knows who PPuners are, it would be easy to make sure only genuine Jet2 members get to vote once. As far as aware, company specific forums are the only forums that members have to prove their identity. Once a CC formed, the CC writes to ID and request a meeting to discuss sector pay, which is after all, why this thread started. Our aim should be £4 per sector for FO’s leaving the Capts unchanged. If ID wont meet us or negotiate, then we start talking unions.