PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA Flight-Deck Affirmative Action
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2006, 17:07
Shrike200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bman0429
You guys kill me!
Can someone tell me how many black pilots are currently flying for SAA. I spent nearly eight hrs at Jo'berg and saw zero. Of this number that you come up with how many are Capts?
How many of you were complaining about how unfair things were 20 years ago? Not a one I'll bet! Its funny fair is only fair when you're in the seat of power.
10+ years of AA ain't gonna fix a century or so of systematic rascist practices, but its a start.
Do you honestly think "oh aparthied is over bygones. let's all compete on merit" is fair when the "indigenous" populace couldn't even hold jobs that would allow them or their children access to the very things you take for granted.
No you've had your leg up and you'd like to keep it that way. No one can blame you, but that certainly does make you a bit racist.
Slow down. 20 years ago I was about ten years old. How much complaining did you expect me to do? Think about it for a second....should I have been toting an AK then, or blowing up bars or something?

Seat of power, my ass. I don't hold anything. I come very much second to any black person trying to get into SAA. And of course there's the ultimate currency, the black female. Sort of like four aces in poker - beats anything. Don't give me 'seat of power' rubbish quotes....who do you think I am? If you think my skin colour gives me anything but disadvantage nowadays, you're clueless.

So, once again: My generation had nothing to do with apartheid, but we get shafted by the current policies. Those who did benefit, are about to retire with 1 mil + p.a. retirements. If you had thought about it for more than a millisecond, you would see why we (or I, at the very least) complain.

Edit: I see you give your location as New Orleans. I assume then, that you haven't experienced the full reality of the situation here, unlike many here whose livelyhoods are directly affected.