PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Filing VFR flightplans
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2006, 14:18
24Right

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to know there's some good in it then

But if it is just a historical hangover, it's strange that it has survived, given that notwithstanding the beliefs of many of us GA flyers, controlled airspace doesn't only grow. It has been known to shrink in the (perhaps distant) past where considered unjustified by the number of movements. And it doesn't get much more controlled than Class A to SFC.

One assumes that there is some reason for it, as the controllers often give SVFR clearances not above 1500 or 2000 ft, which I for one find not a little scary in a single - if the donkey stops options are extremely limited at this height. The implication seems to be that for safety grounds non-IFR traffic needs to be kept out of the way of something (although I've never seen any significant commercial traffic in the zone near these altitudes except Islanders - and they hardly constitute major commercial traffic - and then usually within the Class D areas around the Islands), so I'm still at a loss as to the point. If the issue really was safety, GA would be allowed to transit at a sensible altitude.

24R